Digital Forensic Research Analyst
We are seeking a number of Digital Forensic Research Analysts to join our team of Digital Forensic Scientists and Software Engineers. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to work with a cutting edge team researching, designing and developing software solutions that make a difference.
The role will involve providing support to the research and development, software engineering and digital forensic activities within the company. All aspects of the work require accurate record keeping as the business operates to quality assurance processes.
Research and development is key to developing advanced, cutting-edge technology. Our team works to solve the challenges that exist in the highly dynamic, hi-tech world of digital forensics. We aim to create new knowledge about scientific and technological topics for the purpose of uncovering and enabling development of valuable new products, processes, and services.
Unparalleled technical expertise, fresh thinking, exceptional talent and strong values; our people are the key to our success. We rely on their knowledge, expertise and ability to innovate.
We encourage self-development, new ideas and better ways of doing things. We are a small and fast moving team, and each team member is expected to contribute and own their area of expertise. Our clients are demanding, and driven – and we have the team to match.
This role is ideally suited for a recently graduated student of Digital Forensics.
- Examine software applications to identify where data is stored
- Perform reverse engineering of digital file formats and documenting their structures
- Identification of deleted data in data storage and develop methodologies for the recovery of the data
- Use tools to document the structures of file and databases and identify changes
- Development of new digital forensic techniques
- Document findings and create detailed, accurate technical reports
- Good understanding and use of different operating systems such as Windows, Linux, OS X, iOS, Android
- Identification and documentation of operating system and software application artefacts
- Examination and extraction of data from different file formats such as: binary, text, XML, JSON etc.
- Understanding of software application testing
- Preparation of software testing plans
- Preparation of software test scenarios, test cases
- Defect tracking (JIRA)
- Executing manual and automated tests and recording the results
- Development of test scripts and batch files
- Preparing suggestion documents to improve the quality of the software applications
- Participate in reviews and meetings
- Using software such as VMWare or Virtual Box to create virtual test environments
- Creating and documenting test data sets
- Creating virtual hard disks and test volumes
- Handling exhibits and tracking movement
- Performing evidential capture of computers and mobile devices
- Good understanding of ACPO guidelines for handling digital evidence
- Good understanding of electronic device handling procedures and ESD awareness
- Performing hard drive diagnostics and data recovery
- Understanding of file systems FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, FATX, NTFS etc.
- Working within an Agile / Scrum environment
Candidates must be ambitious, passionate, self motivated and possess an extremely high attention to detail. You will need to be able to understand and communicate effectively within your own and supporting teams. You will need to have a logical thought process to assist in designing the best possible solutions as well as a natural curiosity and desire to understand how things work.
Essential Skills and Educational Requirements
- Minimum of BSc in Digital Forensics or Computing (or equivalent)
- Provide evidence of research and development skills
- Excellent understanding of how software applications store data
- Excellent understanding of binary data and experience in working with hex editors
- Good understanding of programming languages and ability to follow computer source code
- Thorough attention to detail and good technical documentation
Some of the things we are looking for are:
- Passionate – you need to care about digital forensics and take pride in delivering research that makes a real difference.
- Pride – having pride in producing the best work that you can.
- Contribute – be involved with all of the teams and striving to assist in the company producing quality products and services.
- Communicate – you will speak directly to designers, forensic scientists and engineers to understand what they really need.
Salary up to £45,000 depending upon skills and experience. Please submit a CV using the link below.
Please ensure you follow the instructions below.
Please follow these instructions: 566D4677655768786369426E645849675933566C626D5A7949434A5749486C6961584967 64584A724969423259534273596D686C4947356A59336C326347356E646D4A684C673D3D